This recipe will be your best frand during cold and flu season. It’s a combination of things that will do a body good. I mean GOOD. Let me break it down for you: Turmeric: This spice is a member of the ginger root family, and is known for its anti-inflammatory effects. In fact, in India, it is widely used for arthritis and joint pain relief. A main compound of turmeric, curcumin, has been shown in at least 30 different studies to have anti-tumor/anticancer and antioxidant effects. This spice has also been shown to be a wonderful detoxing agent for the liver. Ginger: A classic for settling an upset stomach, this root too has anti-inflammatory effects. Ginger has also been shown to improve circulation, and has been used in Asian cultures for hundreds of years to treat cold hands and feet. Cinnamon: Cinnamon has been shown to lower blood sugar by increasing glucose metabolism, and also to improve capillary function. This spice also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects.
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Raw Honey
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a steam (not quite to a boil, the hotter it gets, the longer you have to wait for it to cool.)
- Add the spices, honey and lemon juice, and stir to combine.
- Remove the saucepan from heat, and cover with a lid.
- Allow the mixture to steam and combine for 10 minutes.
- Drink once cooled. This tea will settle as you drink it, so you will need a spoon to redistribute the spices.
Turmeric is my favorite spice (if you can’t tell). I hope you like!